Our Little Piggie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, April 11, 2013

NEW ME!!

FAMILIES FIRST
I have a wonderful seasoned mom-visitor who comes once a week to talk about child development and improving core family relationships. We also do crafts from time to time (something I prefer over those hard hitting questions)!
Today with Families First we talked about positive parenting; praising vs nagging. Hmm...I'm pretty sure I've done my share of nagging! Somehow, as a perfectionist, it has become easier to let people know what they've been doing wrong rather than praising what they've already done right. This is definitely something I need to work on as nobody loves and wants to spend time with a negative Nelly! Aaand I now realize how destructive and unproductive to a little persons ego, growth, and development it can be!
We also talked about family values and I received some homework for Ike and I to do this week (never was a fan of homework!). A while back Ike and I made a collage of some of OUR more important values that we want to instill in our children. Today I had to choose two that I thought we need to improve upon and we must answer a barrage of deep thinking questions and come up with a plan. The two that I chose were 'Having Fun Family Time' and 'Relationship With God'. I chose these two because I know that sometimes we get caught up in TV, me time, chores, etc... and we forget to stop and make memories as a family. For the same reasons mentioned earlier I have also been finding it difficult to make time to build on my relationship with God. It really shouldn't be this hard to make time for Him which is why it is something I want to work on so as to be a solid example for my children.

WISDOM TIDBIT
A book I read recently (thank you American Mom) talked about being 'the new normal'. It's a tough adjustment to make, going from doing what I want to doing what my children want and need! The author talked about how so many parents need to find themselves again after they've had children when really this is who they are now...THIS is the new normal...THIS is the new me! There is no need for a search-party!




No comments:

Post a Comment