Our Little Piggie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Discoveries

Before I got distracted by lipstick man I had planned on sharing some of my discoveries with all of you! A short while ago my mother-in-law signed up for some online ancestry research website to do some research of her own family history for an upcoming reunion. I must've shown more interest than I thought because she gave me her username and password so I could dabble a little bit. Wow, did I ever find some cool stuff...of course I will need to double check some names and stuff with grandma and grandpa but I'm 90% sure that I've traced the right family!
First I found grandma Duchak's parents...There isn't much to go on as I can only look up Canadian records and they're the ones who immigrated here in the early 1900's from England. I discovered that her father was in the military during WWI and have an actual copy of his 'attestation papers'. I also have a copy of the ship's manifest with his name on it and exactly where he boarded the "Pomeranian" and where he landed before arriving in Winnipeg. I then Googled for more information on the steam ship, which also gave great history as to who owned it and how long it ran before a German sub sank it with a torpedo (and yes I used google as a verb). I also have a copy of a Winnipeg census from 1911, which included the name Mayone their daughter (grandma Duchak?).
Then I dug deep and found grandpa Duchak's parents...They too were the ones to immigrate here in 1901 from Austria. I couldn't find as much information on them but still managed to discover a copy of his 'attestation papers' for WWI, and a copy of MooseJaw's census from 1916 which listed 7 children including grandpa.
I am currently trying to find public information websites for overseas to see if I can go further back or even get some birth or marriage records for either of these....It is difficult though especially when the Austrian one is in german!

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome!! I can't believe you found all that! You should definitely hook up with Grandma and quiz her about her family. Why didn't I know that Grandpa Duchak had 6 siblings? You have to fill me in on what you find out from Grandma. :)

    ReplyDelete