Our Little Piggie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dressing Children

Ok here's another one....A friend of mine recently told me that one morning her son came upstairs wearing plaid shorts and a striped t-shirt. His clothes matched in color but according to her, plaid and stripes don't mix (which is true under most circumstances)...so she made him go and change. He walked away crying because that's what he really wanted to wear to school and he didn't care what the other kids would think. So, the question is....Do you tell your kids when they have horrible taste in coordinating their clothes OR do you allow them to be creative and learn on their own?



Personally, I allow Claudia to dress as she pleases....unless it's inappropriate or we're going out somewhere nice and I have something specific in mind. Once in a while if it's outrageous I'll laugh and say "What are youuuu wearing?" but I think there are more important things to teach your child at this age.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you. How do kids come up with personal style unless you let them experiment (with supervision)? I'm all for refusing to let boys wear super tight pants or letting girls expose themselves but mix your plaid and stripes, wear eye popping colour combinations, and feel free to wear your clothing backwards. :)

    ReplyDelete