Our Little Piggie

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, June 15, 2009

Pembina Valley

We had decided that we would go hiking in the Pembina Valley on saturday. Saturday morning we got up early, picked up my nephew Mark, had a big breakfast at Smitty's, and then off to the Pembina Valley Provincial Park. Ike had printed out a map for us of the different marked trails they have and we had pre-determined to take the Pocupine Ridges trail (2.6Km) north and then back down the same distance...but I decided that it was still early so we continued north on the Hawks Hills trail (0.5km) until we came across the Pembina Rim trail (not sure the distance we only took part of it but it is 6.5km in total...it does the perimeter of the park so I'll guess 1km). We stopped at the Pembina River where there was a gorgeous view of the valley and the river. Here we ate lunch (I had packed sandwiches, carrots, celery, trail mix, and cheese and crackers, oh and lots of water!) and rested! However, before we began eating we had to pick all of the gross wood ticks off of ourselves so we wouldn't feel so creepy crawly...There were tons of them...we periodically would stop to pick them off during the hike and probably had about 20 each . After lunch we headed south to Boulder Creek trail (supposed to be 0.4km) where we went a little off trail...oops. Apparently the marker was pointing us up hill to the trail that followed the creek....not down in the creek. I didn't mind though...hopping from boulder to boulder, over and under fallen trees, slipping and sinking on the shale (very soft rock), we eventually made it to a marker for the Pembina Rim Trail that led us back to the start. It was a really good day for a hike, not too hot and sunny blue skies, although in some parts of the thick bush it got quite hot and humid. I also forgot my camera but Ike did manage to snap these two pictures with his phone....I have discovered that after three hours of hiking my bum really hurts but we survived and I'll have a tight ass to prove it!

1 comment:

  1. Those are really good quality pictures for a cell phone! That sounds like a lot of fun and everything looks really nice and green. Ugh, I hate ticks. Just reading about them gives me the willies. :)

    ReplyDelete